Apple released it’s latest Mac OS X, Mountain Lion, at the end of July, 2012. That means, “Hackintosh” community has a new kid in town to play around. If you are new to the topic of Hackintosh, then be SURE to checkout some of our awesome guide on What is hackintosh ? How to build a hackintosh from hardware selection to software installation.
This guide will help you go through step-by-step installation of the latest Mac OS X Mountain Lion.
- You must have an Intel CPU, if you have an AMD CPU then this will NOT working for you.
- Check make sure your Intel CPU has virtualization technology and is enabled from your BIOS, find out how click here?
- At least 4GB of RAM (you can still run with less RAM but you will suffer performance issues)
- At least 20 GB of Hard Disk space
- VMware Workstation 8 / Workstation 9, (WMware Player might work as well, for optimal performance Workstation works better)
- IMPORTANT: Download OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion Retail VMware Image (from your favorite place)
- Optional: VMware Tools for VMware OS X
How To Install Mac OS X Mountain Lion in VMware Workstation on Windows Machine
Extract the OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion Retail VMware Image.7z file. Once you done that, you will see three folders created at the location you have extracted the file.
OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion folder contains the Mountain Lion vmdk and vmx file for your VMware.
VMware Unlocker – Hardware Virtualization Bypasser folder is for people who have legacy machines that doesn’t support Intel Virtualization, then this tweak can help you by pass the restriction with VMware. Use this ONLY when you have failed to install and the warning message is on your unsupported Virtualization CPU.
VMware Unlocker – Mac OS X Guest you need this to unlock Mac OS X Operating System in VMware Workstation. It should includes support for VMware Workstation 7 and 8. If you have Workstation 9 then it would also work, just run the unlocker for WMware Workstation 8 and you should be good to go.
Step 2 Run VMware Workstation Unlocker
Navigate into the VMware Unlocker – Mac OS X Guest